Sunday, May 24, 2009

Outlander

Buy Outlander on DVD or Blu-ray.So, I was at the video store and I ended up picking up this movie called Outlander- thinking at the time that it would either be really good or really bad. I had never even heard of it, but it had big names like James Caviezel, John Hurt, Sophia Myles, and Ron Perlman, but so did In The Name of the King which also had Ron Perlman and boy, did that stink! Two things on the cover caught my eye: "Beowulf meets Predator" - okay, that's promising, and "BEST...MOVIE...EVER" by some critic whose name doesn't mean much to me, but strong words. So I grabbed it and another DVD to watch in case it turned out to be a stinker.

This movie was terrific! Really, the Beowulf meets Predator tagline is dead on - I'm fairly certain that's precisely what the writer had in mind when he wrote the script. "Let's do Beowulf, but this time what if ..."

Brief synopsis:
During the reign of the Vikings, Kainan (James Caviezel), a man from a distant world, crash lands on Earth, unknowingly bringing with him an alien predator known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen rampages through the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce Viking warriors. Combining his advanced technology with their Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

So they made this movie, had a select screening, and now it's out on DVD and Blu-Ray. Why not a wide theatrical release? Or advertisements for the DVD? It was entirely happenstance that I picked this up, and I'm glad I did. If you're an action fan I strongly encourage you pick it up! Better yet, click the above cover, and buy it! You will want to own it, I promise. Don't believe me? Check out the trailer. Yeah, it's good, right?

No comments: